What does it mean to reinvent yourself into your career? What does that transition or shift look like?
On today's episode of Small Biz Insider, host Maggie Martin sat down with Johanna Chryssikos, president and CEO of Artemis Partners, to talk about how to reinvent yourself in your career. We'll get into how professionals can use their experience to launch themselves in a new direction and what they offer as small business employees.
Here are 5 key takeaways from Chryssikos:
- Your first step to making this transition is to assess your soft skills and experience. What aspects of what you're doing now could you leverage in the job/field you're breaking into? And is it worth it to you to make this transition? Understand there's a price to pay for starting over. But if that's what you want, then that's okay.
- This is a great time to start your own business. Chryssikos said the market is ideal right now, and while it does take a lot of time and hard work, it's incredibly fulfilling. Are you a risk-taker? Are you okay with the unknown? Then starting your own business may be right for you.
- Houston is a great place to make this transition. Houston is a huge city with a small network, said Chryssikos, and leveraging that network can be amazing. "Starting a business, transitioning, reinventing yourself, all those things are possible in the Houston market. I have 5 kids, and I tell them all the time, 'If you want to be successful, you'll stay in the Houston market.' You have a southern feel with a diverse group of people. It's amazing."
- Build a support network around you. Surround yourself with coaches and cheerleaders; people who understand who you are and how you function.
- Connect with people in the field you're trying to shift into. Attach yourself to people in that industry who can help guide you.
Small Biz Insider is part of our digital series highlighting entrepreneurs in the greater Houston region who are making a big impact in the small business community.
Listen to this and other episodes of the Small Biz Insider podcast here. Learn more about the Partnership's other small business resources.
Subscribe to Small Biz Insider through these popular podcast players:
Listen on Apple Podcasts Listen on Google Podcasts Listen on Spotify